DURHAM, N.C., Nov. 21 (UPI) -- Duke Coach David Cutcliffe, who has the Blue Devils' football team bowl eligible for the first time in 18 years, has been given a contract extension.
Duke takes a 6-5 record into its final regular-season game Saturday against Miami (Fla.). The six victories make the Blue Devils eligible to accept a bowl bid. It would be the first bowl appearance for Duke since the Hall of Fame Bowl after the 1994 season.
Cutcliffe took over the Duke football program on Dec. 14, 2007, with the Blue Devils coming off three-year period in which they had a combined 2-33 record.
In the five seasons since then, Duke is 21-38.
"Without question, we have already made great discernible progress since David's arrival," Duke Athletic Director Kevin White said in a statement Wednesday.
"However, as we assess our future -- based on prospect evaluations, ongoing recruitment activity and player development -- we are extremely excited, if not euphoric! To be sure, 'Coach Cut' represents just a great fit at Duke. David and the staff have done an exemplary job of leading the program, while subscribing to the highest intuitional ideals, both academically and athletically."
The contract extension ties Cutcliffe to Duke through June 2019. Financial terms of the agreement weren't released.
|Additional College Football Stories|
HOLLYWOOD, May 18 (UPI) --Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez could be dating again after photos surfaced of their side-by-side seating at the Billboard Music Awards, TMZ reported.
OVERLAND PARK, Kan., May 18 (UPI) --U.S. phone service Sprint said it would mitigate the hardship on U.S. Cellular customers affected by Sprint's purchase of some of Cellular's business.