PORT SAID, Egypt, Feb. 18 (UPI) -- Workers at an Egyptian arsenal in Port Said joined a civil disobedience campaign Monday to protest the deaths of demonstrators last month, officials say.
The workers are demanding an investigation into violence that erupted in the city after 21 youths were sentenced to death in the killings of at least 79 fans at a soccer game in 2012, al-Masry al-Youm reported.
Some 23 factories, with about 27,000 workers, as well as schools and government offices, have closed since the Jan. 26 clashes in which more than 50 people died and at least 250 were injured.
Thousands of protesters marched through the streets Sunday night calling for justice for those killed and wounded during the protests. The demonstrators also demanded the resignation of Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim and the director of the Port Said security forces.
Demonstrators want an independent judge to investigate the deaths and injuries of protesters during last month's demonstrations.