TRIPOLI, Libya, June 9 (UPI) -- Libyan Prime Minister Ahmad Mitig announced Monday that he plans to step down following a Supreme Court ruling that his appointment in May was unconstitutional.
Mitig said that he will respect the court's decision: "I have God, the people and the nation as my witness that I respect the judiciary and comply with its ruling."
His appointment to the premiership in May was uncertain at the time as voting was interrupted when gunmen stormed the building. The deputy speaker challenged the congressional vote and argued that it was invalid. However, on May 5, General National Congress speaker Nuri Abu Sahmein signed a resolution stating "Ahmad Mitig was appointed head of the transitional government..."
The General National Congress said it would respect the Supreme Court's ruling.
Mitig had been appointed to replace Abdullah al-Thinni, who resigned in April after armed men attacked him and his family. Al-Thinni refused to recognize Mitig as his replacement because of the vote interruption.
It is unclear how the appointment of a new prime minister will move forward, and whether al-Thinni plans to retake the office.