3 girls die, 1 injured in house fire

March 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

BYKOV-OTROG, Russia, March 17 (UPI) -- A house fire in southern Russia killed three little girls and injured a fourth early Sunday, officials said.

The fire broke out in a house in the village of Bykov-Otrog in the Saratov region, RIA Novosti reported.

"As a result of smoke inhalation, three girls born in 2003, 2009 and 2011 died. The girl born in 2000 was taken to the city hospital," the regional Emergencies Center said.

Information about the girls' parents was not given and the cause of the fire was not reported.

However, negligence, careless smoking and reluctance to comply with fire safety rules are the most common causes of house fires in Russia, RIA Novosti. The number of house fires has risen dramatically since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
American Apparel files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Womb transplants begin in U.K. after Sweden's success
Gay Vatican priest comes out day before Pope Francis begins synod on family issues
Scientists find roadmap that may lead to 'exercise pill'
Nobel Prize in medicine awarded to parasitic disease scientists