facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Five Chinese boys died of CO poisoning

Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM   |   Comments

BIJIE, China, Nov. 18 (UPI) -- Investigators said it appeared five children whose bodies were found in a garbage bin in southwestern China were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Autopsies confirmed the boys, all street children about 10 years old, died from the deadly gas and ruled out death from injuries or strangling, Communist Party sources in Guizhou Province told China's official Xinhua News Agency.

Investigators in the mountain city of Bijie found burned charcoal in the trash container, which sources said led investigators to believe the boys had lit a fire inside it to keep warm.

Xinhua said the deaths created an Internet uproar among Chinese who chastised the local government and the boys' parents for negligence.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Poll: Voters don't like Republicans but will vote for them Poll: Voters don't like Republicans but will vote for them
2
Texas woman set for execution for starving girlfriend's son Texas woman set for execution for starving girlfriend's son
3
Playboy Magazine names UPenn top party school for 2014 Playboy Magazine names UPenn top party school for 2014
4
Occupy Wall Street celebrates 3-year anniversary by forgiving $4 million of student debt Occupy Wall Street celebrates 3-year anniversary by forgiving $4 million of student debt
5
Light 4.0 earthquake shakes Seattle area Light 4.0 earthquake shakes Seattle area
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback