account
search
search

'Man of Steel' sequel release postponed to 2016

  |   Jan. 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 of 2
| License Photo
HOLLYWOOD, Jan. 18 (UPI) -- The release date for the sequel to the Superman movie "Man of Steel" has been pushed back nearly a year to 2016, Warner Bros. announced in Hollywood.

Warner Bros. issued a written statement Friday announcing the untitled film -- featuring Henry Cavill as Superman and Ben Affleck as Batman -- will be released May 6, 2016, rather than the previously announced July 2015 release date.

The statement said the postponement would allow "the filmmakers time to realize fully their vision, given the complex visual nature of the story."

The project raised controversy among comic-movie fans after Affleck signed on to play Batman, the Los Angeles Times said.

"Man of Steel" grossed $291 million at the U.S. box office.

Warner also announced a new film about Peter Pan will be in theaters in the July 2015 slot vacated by the "Man of Steel" sequel.

Related UPI Stories
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback