Advertisement

J.J. Abrams: Harrison Ford's injury led to improvements in 'Force Awakens'

By Karen Butler
1/4
J.J. Abrams: Harrison Ford's injury led to improvements in 'Force Awakens'
American actor Harrison Ford attends the European premiere of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in London on December 16, 2015. File photo by Paul Treadway/ UPI | License Photo

NEW YORK, April 20 (UPI) -- Star Wars: The Force Awakens director and co-writer J.J. Abrams reveals some good actually came out of the hiatus prompted by an on-set accident involving actor Harrison Ford.

The filmmaker said the break the cast and crew had after Ford injured his leg allowed him to fine-tune the movie's screenplay to improve the relationship between Daisy Ridley and John Boyega's characters.

Advertisement

"When I was on the set of the Millennium Falcon and we started working with Rey and Finn... The first time we did it, it didn't work at all," Abrams said at a Tribeca Film Festival panel discussion with Chris Rock last week.

"As we wrote it, they were much more contentious. It was a very weird thing. I didn't direct it right. It was set up all wrong, and when Harrison Ford got injured, which was a very scary day, we ended up having a few weeks off, and it was during that time that I really got to look at what we had done and re-think it and then re-write quite a bit of that relationship. So, when we came back to work again, we actually just re-shot from the ground up, those scenes. It was an amazingly helpful thing to get these two characters to where they needed to be."

Advertisement

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement