DETROIT, June 4 (UPI) -- GM said Wednesday that it will release the findings of the internal investigation conducted by the company into the recall of vehicles involved in fatalities.
The company, mired in vehicle recalls due to safety defects on its cars and trucks, hired outside attorney Anton Valukas, who also probed the Lehmann Brothers collapse, to investigate a recall related to faulty ignition switches. The investigation looked into how engineers, lawyers and senior management responded to the technical defect, which has led to 13 deaths so far.
The report is partly based on more than one million documents released to Congress. The documents will possibly show who was responsible for GM taking a decade to acknowledge the faulty ignition switches and a dysfunctional review system. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration already imposed the maximum legal fine of $35 million based on its findings.
GM CEO Mary Barra is expected to deliver the findings of the investigation at a town hall meeting with employees Thursday and will detail what went wrong and what GM plans to do about it.
The report will set the course for the future of Barra's term at the carmaker and how she plans to deal with the negative publicity and legal challenges she will face. Barra says she was unaware of the fault, and has reiterated that the company has turned a new leaf and is not the old pre-bankruptcy GM.
GM reported better than expected sales last month, which grew 13 percent.