June 6 (UPI) -- A 13-year-old boy accused of shooting a teacher and classmate at an Indiana middle school will not be tried as an adult, prosecutors said.
Investigators said the teen opened fire on classmates at Noblesville West Middle School last month, injuring a student and teacher.
The injured student, a 13-year-old girl, was shot seven times and received broken bones to her neck, ribs and jaw and her lungs collapsed. She remains hospitalized in stable condition.
The wounded teacher was treated for abdomen, hip and forearm injuries.
Prosecutor D. Lee Buckingham said if the shooter was tried as an adult, he would have faced 11 counts, including two felony charges each of attempted murder, aggravated battery and battery by means of a deadly weapon.
"This case is not eligible to be heard in adult court despite the heinous or aggravated nature of the alleged acts and despite the serious harm caused," Buckingham said in a statement.
An accused minor can only be tried in adult court if the attempted homicide is successful, prosecutors said.
"This blessing results in this matter remaining in the juvenile justice system under our current laws, a result which will, I am sure, be very troubling and unsatisfying for many people," Buckingham added.
The teen suspect is set to appear in court June 11.