LOS ANGELES, Nov. 3 (UPI) -- A convicted serial killer in prison for life since 1998 for killing four Los Angeles-area women Thursday was convicted of three more murders, officials said.
Michael Hughes, a one-time security guard, is already serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole, the Los Angeles Times reported.
A jury Thursday found him guilty in the cold-case slayings of a 15-year-old girl and two women in their 30s based on DNA evidence linking him to the crimes.
Hughes previously had been convicted of killing four women; three of them strangled and left in alleys in suburban Culver City.
The Los Angeles Times said the killing spree occurred in the 1980s and 1990s during a time when at least five serial killers were active in the South Los Angeles area. There were more than 1,000 homicides annually in the Los Angeles area in the early 1990s.