Nov. 21 (UPI) -- An Australian snake catcher said he reviewed video of a recent call and realized he came within inches of a potentially fatal bite.
Stuart McKenzie of The Snake Catcher 24/7 - Sunshine Coast posted a video to Facebook showing what happened when he was called to remove a venomous eastern brown snake found hanging out next to the pool at a Twin Waters, Queensland, home.
McKenzie said in the post Sunday it was "definitely a heart in mouth moment" when the snake's face passed within inches of his hand.
He said after reviewing the footage that the incident marked the closest he has come to being bitten by an eastern brown, considered one of the deadliest snakes in the world.
"That is the closest. It took my breath away and I had to pause and take it in," McKenzie told the Sunshine Coast Daily. "The adrenaline was pumping through, it was lucky."
"You know it is a dangerous job and close encounters do happen. If he had've had his mouth open and bump into my hand then he could have latched on," he said. "That is nothing against the snake either, he is just defending himself. But I hope it never gets that close."