France's Iliad makes bid for T-Mobile

T-Mobile is being courted by another suitor despite being in the middle of an acquisition by U.S. carrier Sprint.
By Ananth Baliga   |   July 31, 2014 at 3:49 PM
| License Photo

IRVINE, Calif., July 31 (UPI) -- France telecommunications company Iliad has made an offer for T-Mobile, in a move that could disrupt the the latter's ongoing merger with Sprint.

The deal would involve Iliad acquiring 56.6 percent of T-Mobile for $15 billion in cash, or $33 a share, and the remaining 43.4 percent of the U.S. company would be worth $40.50, on account of cost saving measures, putting the entire deal at 17 percent higher than T-Mobile's closing price Wednesday.

T-Mobile has not yet responded to the offer.

Iliad, like T-Mobile, has taken the French telecommunications segment by storm by offering cutthroat prices and said the offer would be a "one-time opportunity to enter the world's-largest telecoms market," according to a person familiar with the deal.

"The U.S. mobile market is large and attractive," Iliad said in a statement. "T-Mobile US has successfully established a disruptive position, which in many ways, is similar to the one Iliad has built in France."

T-Mobile and Sprint have been working for months to close a $30 billion merger, which is being investigated for antitrust issues. Iliad said its acquisition of T-Mobile would not lead to any such issues as it does not have a presence in the U.S. market.

As of 3 p.m., T-Mobile was up 6 percent and competitors Verizon and AT&T were down 2.3 percent and 1.7 percent, respectively.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Rapper DMX found unconscious, revived by New York police
Alaska woman claims McDonald's Happy Meal hasn't aged in six years
N.H. primary polls open: Kasich, Sanders get early leads
5 Reasons why Denver Broncos won't be repeat champions
Exposure to flashing light may prevent jet lag