facebook
twitter
search
search

Indictment taps Californian with $4 million in false Medicare claims

Sept. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 30 (UPI) -- U.S. prosecutors said the former owner of Royal Medical Supply in Los Angeles had been indicted for submitting $4 million worth of fraudulent Medicare claims.

The Justice Department said Monday Valery Bogomolny, 41, was indicted on six counts of healthcare fraud that could result in a maximum penalty of 60 years in prison -- 10 for each count -- if convicted on all charges.

Allegedly, Bogomolny submitted claims for durable medical equipment, such as power wheelchairs, on behalf of clients, even though he knew "the prescriptions and medical documents were fraudulent and that some of the beneficiaries did not receive," the equipment.

"Yet he certified to Medicare with the submission of each claim that the DME [durable medical equipment] was medically necessary," the Justice Department said.

The department said Bogomolny submitted $4 million in fraudulent claims and Medicare paid his company $2.7 million.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Chelsea Clinton accidentally calls Bernie 'President Sanders'
Watch every star-studded Super Bowl commercial of 2016
Susan Sarandon responds to Piers Morgan criticizing cleavage
Two Virginia Tech students plotted 13-year-old's death, prosecutors said
Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice got classified email on private accounts