WASHINGTON, Jan. 31 (UPI) -- The Islamic State has released a video that purportedly shows the beheading of 47-year-old Japanese journalist Kenji Goto.
This video is titled "A Message to the Japanese Government," and it shows Goto on his knees in the typical orange jumpsuit next to an IS member. "Let the nightmare for Japan begin," the IS member says as he puts a large knife to Goto's neck.
The Japanese and U.S. governments are working to confirm the authenticity of the video.
"The United States strongly condemns ISIL's actions and we call for the immediate release of all remaining hostages. We stand in solidarity with our ally Japan," National Security Council spokesperson Bernadette Meehan said in a statement.
The Islamic State had previously asked for $200 million for the lives of Haruna Yukawa and Kenji Goto. After executing Yukawa, the group instead demanded a female al-Qaida member and suicide bomber named Sajida al-Rishawi be released by the Jordanian government in exchange for the release of Goto and a Jordanian pilot.
The father of F-16 pilot Lt. Muath al-Kaseasbeh spoke out Saturday demanding the Jordanian government negotiate the return of his son.