KHARTOUM, Sudan, Dec. 26 (UPI) -- A Sudanese military spokesman has denied reports that Israel was involved in a series of attacks on weapons convoys in eastern Sudan.
The convoys were reportedly loaded with weapons heading for the Gaza Strip, Israel's Channel 2 quoted Sudanese media saying Sunday night. The reports claimed an Israeli submarine as well as fighter jets allegedly participated in a series of strikes.
Sudanese military spokesman Col. Alsoarma Khaled Sa'ad told Albawaba.com: "We do not have assurances on that aggression."
The reports said an Israeli warplane targeted a convoy of six Land Cruiser vehicles Thursday and Sunday last week, killing four passengers and destroying two of the vehicles. There were also reports that an Israeli submarine entered the territorial waters in eastern Sudan and a helicopter landed on an island in Sudan's territorial jurisdiction, the Web site said.
The Sudanese al-Rakoba newspaper said one of the strikes hit a convoy near Sudan's border with Egypt in the Hala'ib triangle region, an area whose sovereignty is disputed by Sudan and Egypt.
Israel has neither confirmed or denied the reports.
Israeli security officials believe Sudan is a key conduit of weapons bound for Gaza, the weapons are unloaded from ships docking at Port Sudan and are placed on trucks and taken to the Egypt-Gaza border where they are smuggled into Gaza through the network of tunnels, Israel Radio said.