Central Connecticut State University lockdown ends with student arrest

NEW BRITAIN, Conn., Nov. 4 (UPI) -- One suspect in Monday's lockdown at Central Connecticut State University has been identified as 21-year-old student David Kyem, police said.

Kyem, the son of geography Professor Peter Kyem, was charged with breach of peace and released on $1,000 bond, WVIT-TV, New Britain, Conn., reported.


The lockdown, triggered by a report of a man with a gun, ended Monday with three people being questioned, police said.

While no shots were fired and there were no injuries, a man clad in an orange shirt and camouflage pants was seen being taken away in handcuffs about 2:30 p.m. EST, The Hartford Courant reported. The lockdown was lifted about 3:15 p.m.

"I think people saw him and mistook him for a gunman," Peter Kyem told the TV stations. "They are all plastic materials, the mask and everything."

Campus police Chief Chris Cervoni said no weapons had been recovered and there was never a real threat to anyone, the newspaper said. He said it was possible the person who was cuffed may have been wearing a Halloween costume but he said: "It wasn't a prank because there was concern. There was alarm."


The Courant said it wasn't clear if anyone had been charged with a crime, though Cervoni said three people of interest were being questioned.

There was no mention of the incident on the school's website, though there was a notice afternoon and evening classes had been canceled, with no reason given.

"We are very heartened that this has turned out as well as it has," school spokesman Mark McLaughlin said at a news conference.

The Courant said a source told it state police had talked with a man they had cordoned off in a dormitory hall room. The source said there had been no hostile action.

The newspaper said students familiar with the man taken into custody said he is a senior at the university and the incident may have been a misunderstanding. They said the student had the same clothing at a Halloween party but didn't know why he was wearing the items Monday.

The incident began about noon with university officials using social media websites to alert people to a "campus emergency."

"Campus emergency. Seek shelter. Lock doors, close windows. We will communicate when we have more info. This is not a drill. #ccsu," was the first message posted on the university's Twitter page.


A New Britain official said police received reports of a man carrying a gun and a knife on campus, the Courant said.

A post on Central Connecticut State University's website in red letters on a white background read:

"Campus Emergency

"Remain Inside buildings. Stay in place!

"Stay away from Windows.

"Police are on the Scene."

State police Lt. J. Paul Vance told the Courant troopers were called to the campus and sent two SWAT teams.

Two nearby New Britain schools were on modified lockdown, a school district official said.

Latest Headlines