May 15 (UPI) -- Improbable, the beaten favorite in the Kentucky Derby, was installed Wednesday as the 5-2 morning-line favorite for the Preakness Stakes, second jewel of the Triple Crown.
For the first time since 1951, none of the top three finishers from the Derby will contest the Preakness. Neither will Maximum Security, who crossed the finish line first at Churchill Downs but was demoted to 17th for interference at the top of the stretch.
Only four of the 13 horses entered for the Preakness contested the first leg of the Triple Crown.
The biggest groans of the post position draw were from the camp of War of Will. The colt who took the worst of the interference in the Kentucky Derby, losing all chances of a better finish than his actual eighth, was promoted to seventh.
War of Will started from the inside gate in Louisville and drew the rail again for the Preakness. Despite the draw, the Pimlico oddsmaker installed him as the second-favorite at 4-1.
The only other horses at single-digit odds for the 1 3/16-miles race are Anothertwistafate at 6-1 and local favorite Alwaysmining, who rides a six-race winning streak, compiled entirely down the road at Laurel Park. Alwaysmining was posted at 8-1.
The field for the 144th Preakness Stakes, 1 3/16 miles at Pimlico in Baltimore, by post position, with trainer, jockey and morning-line odds:
1. War of Will. Mark Casse, Tyler Gaffalione, 4-1.
2. Bourbon War. Mark Hennig, Irad Ortiz Jr., 12-1.
3. Warrior's Charge. Brad Cox, Florent Geroux, 12-1.
4. Improbable. Bob Baffert, Mike Smith, 5-2 favorite.
5. Owendale. Brad Cox, Florent Geroux, 10-1.
6. Market King. D. Wayne Lukas, Jon Court, 30-1.
7. Alwaysmining. Kelly Rubley, Daniel Centeno, 8-1.
8. Signalman. Kenny McPeek, Brian Hernandez Jr., 30-1.
9. Bodexpress. Gustavo Delgado, John Velazquez, 20-1.
11. Laughing Fox. Steve Asmussen, Ricardo Santana Jr., 20-1.
12. Anothertwistafate. Blaine Wright, Jose Ortiz, 6-1.
13. Win Win Win. Mike Trombetta, Julien Pimentel, 15-1.