The Detroit News reported the under-the-lights event scheduled for June 7 at Detroit Golf Club won't take place.
"We were informed (Friday) that due to circumstances beyond our control the proposed event featuring Rory McIlroy and Rickie Fowler that was to be played at the Detroit Golf Club will not be happening," Detroit Golf Club president Owen Nagy said in a statement. "This is obviously disappointing news for all of us at Detroit Golf Club. I'd like to thank all of our members whom were involved and (club executive) Michael Strain for their efforts over the past months to do our part, as the venue, to try to make the event happen.
"Unfortunately, as the venue, we had no influence in the discussions or any decisions that were made relative to finalizing the agreements for the proposed event."
Quicken Loans, the expected lead sponsor, said it has "no plans to participate in a Detroit-based golf event in 2016."
"As was previously stated by our company, a golf event was under very preliminary consideration, however conversations never progressed to a stage where they warranted widespread speculation," Quicken Loans said in statement. "Quicken Loans takes great pride in creating special, one-of-a-kind events, ranging from the Quicken Loans Carrier Classic -- the first ever college basketball game played on an active aircraft carrier -- to the Quicken Loans Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge, which captivated America's imagination. We remain committed to creating unique events, and are continuing to pursue a number of potential opportunities that not only create excitement, but also shine a spotlight on the revitalization and vibrancy of Detroit."
The McIlroy vs. Fowler match was expected to be shown live on both the Golf Channel and CBS, and reportedly would have included celebrities Justin Timberlake and Mark Wahlberg to round out the foursome.