Sept. 8 (UPI) -- An aerosol air freshener can was ignited by a driver's lit cigarette and exploded inside the car, blowing the doors and roof off the vehicle.
Witnesses said the explosion inside a car in the parking lot of a B&Q hardware store in Southend, England, blew the doors and roof off the Ford Focus, but the woman in the car suffered only minor injuries.
The explosion was apparently sparked when the gas inside the aerosol can was ignited by the woman's lit cigarette.
"Just missed witnessing car explosion near Southend. Very loud bang. Ford Focus doors, windscreen, roof blown out. B&Q staff rushing to help," witness @unslugged tweeted.
The East of England Ambulance service said paramedics responded to the scene and treated the driver, who was then taken to Southend University Hospital as a precaution.