Student dies of gunshot wounds

Dec. 5, 1985
share with facebook
share with twitter

CONCORD, N.H. -- A high school dropout who returned to his former school, held two students hostage and was hospitalized after a shootout with police, died from injuries sustained in the exchange of fire.

Louis Cartier, 16, was shot in the head and chest by police Tuesday after he raised his double-barreled shotgun at a football coach who was attempting to talk him into surrendering, investigators said.

He died Wednesday in Concord Hospital, leaving unanswered the reasons for his actions.

Concord High School Principal Charles Foley said he was saddened by the death.

'I always find it difficult whenever a student passes away, regardless of the cause,' he said.

No charges had been filed against Cartier, who dropped out of school about two weeks ago.

The Attorney General's Office and Concord Police Chief David Walchak said police acted properly when they shot Cartier.

Two police officers suffered minor injuries. The two students held briefly were unharmed.

Students and friends said Cartier, who was described as quiet, had been the brunt of teasing by classmates. The Concord Monitor also reported Wednesday he had been upset about a girlfriend who had moved to Vermont several weeks ago.

Walchak said investigators had not determined a motive for Cartier's alleged actions. Police said Cartier, toting his father's shotgun and a bottle of wine, walked into Concord High School on Tuesday and briefly held two students hostage.

An officer shot Cartier when he raised his shotgun at football Coach Don LeBrun, investigators said. The shot hit Cartier in the head and he returned a shotgun blast at police, Walchak said. A second officer then shot Cartier in the chest.

Foley said security would not be stepped up at the school.

'What do you do put a guard at 22 entrances at the school?' he said. 'I don't think it makes any sense to plan for it. That's like trying to plan for immortality.'

Trending Stories