LONDON -- Wells Kelly, the drummer for the rock group Meatloaf, died from choking on his own vomit after taking heroin and cocaine, a coroner's inquest was told today.
The panel returned a verdict of death by misadventure.
Kelly, 35, of New York had been to a party with the rest of the group after a concert in London Oct. 28. Band member Paul Jacobs found him slumped over a railing outside the band's home the next morning.
Dr. Ian West, a pathologist, said a post mortem revealed high levels of morphine and cocaine in Kelly's body. He said death came from the drummer inhaling his own vomit 'induced by snorting a mixture of heroin and cocaine.'
'I dealt with 28 young people who died from heroin last year,' said coroner Paul Knapman. 'I wonder how many there will be this year?'