Islamic Jihad, a militant group that claimed responsibility for launching rockets into Israel, told CNN that a ceasefire had been reached.
Islamic Jihad leader Khaled Al-Batash said, "We have agreed on an Egyptian-brokered truce -- as long as Israel commits to it." The truce was expected to go into effect at 3 p.m. local time.
Despite the announcement of a ceasefire, a spokesman for the Israeli Defense Forces informed CNN that IDF was calling up reservists to operate the missile defense system if needed.
The barrage of rockets Tuesday and Wednesday was prompted, Islamic Jihad claimed, after three of its operatives were killed by an Israeli military strike in Gaza.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas addressed a press conference Thursday about the attacks, blaming Israel for the heightened hostility: "The Israeli occupation forces killed in cold blood three Palestinians in the West Bank and another three in Gaza, and we did not hear any condemnation or any apologies to these acts from the Israeli government."
At least 30 rockets fired from Gaza struck Israel Wednesday night in the biggest attack since 2012. In response, Israel launched its second airstrike on Gaza in two days Wednesday.