facebook
twitter
search
search

Toronto officer charged in shooting death of teen with knife on bus

Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM

TORONTO, Aug. 19 (UPI) -- A Toronto police officer was charged Monday with murder in the death of an 18-year-old Toronto man on an empty streetcar, officials said.

Constable James Forcillo had been suspended since the shooting of Sammy Adib Yatim July 27, the Toronto Star reported.

Forcillo, a six-year police veteran, shot Yatim nine times after the teenager approached the officer. Witnesses, who said Yatim did not appear mentally stable, said he had ordered passengers off the bus while holding a knife in one hand and his exposed penis with the other.

After Yatim was shot, a bystander said the suspect was Tasered by a supervisor.

During a press conference Monday, a spokesman for the Special Investigations Unit said SIU Director Ian Scott had determined there were "reasonable grounds" Forcillo had committed "a criminal offense."

Forcillo, who faces second-degree murder charges, has not yet been arrested.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Topics: Ian Scott
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Maine man dead after shooting firework off head, police say
Greeks vote overwhelmingly to reject creditors' bailout
Russian resupply spacecraft docks onto ISS to deliver needed provisions
Third disturbance in four days erupts at Arizona prison
Islamic State stronghold of Raqqa targeted heavily in airstrikes