WASHINGTON, Jan. 6 (UPI) -- The addition of women to U.S. Special Forces troops will be delayed for weeks to give authorities "the time to collaborate thoroughly with the services," Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said.
Gen. Joseph Votel, Commander of U.S. Special Operations Command, was given until "no later than" April 1 to do what is necessary to integrate women into previously male-only special operations units in each of the military service branches.
Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work and the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Air Force Gen. Paul J. Selva, are chairing a group to implement the addition of women and are working "to ensure there are no unintended consequences on the joint force," the Defense Department said
Secretary of Defense Ash Carter announced Dec. 3 that all military combat positions would be opened to women, prompting a push back from the Marine Corps, which fought to restrict from women positions that included infantry, machine gunner and fire support. Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford also pushed to keep some roles limited to men only.