facebook
twitter
search
search

Seton Hall University bomb threat turns out to be bogus

May 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J., May 30 (UPI) -- A bomb threat that prompted the evacuation of the sparsely populated Seton Hall University campus in New Jersey Thursday was bogus, authorities said.

There were only about 100 students on the South Orange campus because the semester ended earlier this month.

Essex County Sheriff Armando Fontoura said officers spent more than 2 hours combing the 15 buildings at Seton Hall but found no explosives, The (Newark) Star-Ledger reported.

The sheriff said the search was triggered by a 3:30 p.m. Facebook posting that said bombs had been planted in every building, the newspaper said. Investigators had yet to determine who posted the threat.

"We did the sweep and everything is cool and copacetic," Fontoura said. "It was time consuming and these things are costly and they shrink our resources down, but unfortunately we get more than our fair share of these."

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Topics: Seton Hall
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Texas man killed in apparent alligator attack
Kentucky clerk sued for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses
Police arrest N.C. soldier with assault rifle headed to mall photo shoot
North Korean biochemical weapons researcher defects to Europe
Four accused in slave-labor trafficking ring on Ohio egg farm