Flesh-eating bacteria kills Michigan's Crystal Spencer

July 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM

DETROIT, July 30 (UPI) -- A Michigan woman has died after being infected by flesh-eating bacteria more than a month ago, her husband said Monday.

The Detroit Free Press reported Crystal Spencer, 33, of Farmington Hills, died Sunday, her husband, Jeff Spencer, said.

She had been hospitalized since June 30. Her family believes she contracted the disease while having a boil lanced at a medical center, the report said.

Spencer had undergone multiple surgeries, including skin grafts, to areas destroyed by the bacteria. Her recovery was complicated by a diabetic condition.

Many types of bacteria can cause the disease, known as necrotizing fasciitis.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
TSU shooting: 1 dead, 1 wounded in third shooting this week at Houston campus
Listeria threat prompts Whole Foods cheese recall
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
Wrong drug used in Oklahoma execution