facebook
twitter
search
search

Toronto dumps closer B.J. Ryan

July 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM

TORONTO, July 8 (UPI) -- The Toronto Blue Jays released veteran closer B.J. Ryan Wednesday and activated Scott Downs from the 15-day disabled list.

Ryan, 33, had been erratic in 25 appearances (20 2/3 innings) this season and had not pitched since giving up a three-run homer to Hideki Matsui in a 10-8 loss to the New York Yankees on Sunday, his second appearance in eight days.

Toronto signed him to a five-year contract, $47 million before the 2006 season.

Injuries and command problems had plagued the left hander came to Toronto as a free agent in November of 2005 after spending the previous six seasons with Baltimore.

He underwent Tommy John elbow surgery and missed the 2007 season.

"It's been hard to find spots for him to pitch," Manager Cito Gaston said on the team's Web site on Monday.

"It's frustrating when you sit and you wait to pitch and you get in there and you don't do good," Ryan said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Report: Los Angeles Lakers on verge of acquiring Hibbert
Women's World Cup: U.S. inspired for rematch vs. Japan
Dallas Mavericks land DeAndre Jordan
Greinke, Los Angeles Dodgers beat New York Mets, Harvey
Durant hopes to be cleared to practice in August