Australian man treats deadly snake bite with a cold beer

"If you panic it makes it worse," Rodney Somerville said.
By Evan Bleier   |   March 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM   |   Comments

YEPPOON, Australia, March 10 (UPI) -- An Australian man didn’t get hot under the collar after he was bitten by an eastern brown snake -- he just grabbed a cold one.

Rodney Somerville was gardening outside his home in Yeppoon when he was bitten on the finger by the deadly snake. He then grabbed his shovel and whacked the snake in the head with it.

Figuring that he might "cark it," the 54-year-old decided to have at least one last beer.

"I said to myself, if I'm going to cark it I'm going to have a beer, so I got a Goldie out of the fridge and drank that; 'cause you know eastern browns are the second most venomous snake in the world," Somerville told the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin. "If you panic it makes it worse."

He called an ambulance as well and eventually received the anti-venom. Unfortunately, he had an allergic reaction to the medicine and is still in the hospital after three weeks.

"The reaction nearly killed me as well, so it was a double whammy," Somerville said.

[Rockhampton Morning Bulletin]

Follow @itishowitis and @UPI on Twitter.
Contact the Author
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Featured UPI Collection
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
Gamers 'prank' each other by calling in real life SWAT team, webcam captures fallout
Bethany Beach packed two days before jazz funeral
Welsh man sets house on fire while trying to kill spider
Georgia fourth grader suspended after bringing Nerf gun to school
Dreamworks Dad is back with video game-inspired 'Action Movie Kid - Volume 2'
Trending News