'Idol' cool to stage battle with 'X' champ

Feb. 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 18 (UPI) -- The producer of "American Idol" says he's not keen on the idea of putting his winner on up against the winners of Fox's "The X Factor" and NBC's "The Voice."

Nigel Lythgoe sent out a tweet that seemed to nix the idea "X" honcho Simon Cowell proposed earlier in the week.

The Los Angeles Times said Lythgoe believes the winner of the higher-profile "Idol" would have a name-recognition advantage in a competition with "The Voice" and "X Factor" winners in any battle.

"The problem is the 'Idol' winner will be a star by then," Lythgoe wrote.

The Times said the idea comes at a time when "Idol" has seemingly lost some steam in the ratings while "X" and "Voice" have been trying to come up with competitors who have a higher degree of visibility among the public.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Chrissy Teigen is pregnant with her first child
Playboy magazine to end nude photos in 2016
Steven Tyler to Donald Trump: Stop using 'Dream On' on campaign trail
9 politicians who've been asked to stop using an artist's song
St. Vincent waitresses at Dallas taco restaurant