Advertisement

Some wart removers are flammable, could burn skin or singe hair

Labels on such products do warn that users should keep them away from fire, cigarettes and other heat sources.

By Ananth Baliga

More than a dozen people have burned themselves or set fire to objects in their homes after using a particular kind of wart remover, according to the Food and Drug Administration.

Since 2009, the FDA has received 14 reports of people injuring themselves while using cryogenic wart removers -- removers that freeze the wart off the skin.

Advertisement

Ten people reported either singing their hair or burning or redness on their skin after using such products. In three of the cases a candle was nearby but there was no source of ignition for the other 11 reports.

"The labeling for these products clearly states that they are flammable and should be kept away from fire, flame, heat sources, and cigarettes," said Karen Nast, a consultant with the FDA.

"This is extremely concerning, especially because people may not be aware that everyday household items like curling irons and straight irons can be hot enough to be an ignition source for these products, " she added.

These products contain a mixture of liquid dimethyl ether and propane and come with instructions on how to use them. The FDA suggests that people can consult their doctors for alternative treatments, such as surgical paring, topical applications or just let the wart fall off by itself.

Advertisement

[FDA]

Latest Headlines

Advertisement

Trending Stories

Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement