Arson attack at Chinese consulate in San Francisco

An arson attack against the Chinese consulate in San Francisco caused significant damage to the building's exterior and doors; no one was injured in the attack.
Posted By JC Finley  |  Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:40 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter

Federal authorities are investigating a fire that was set at the main entrance of the Chinese Consulate General in San Francisco Wednesday night.

No one was injured in the attack.

A Chinese consulate spokesperson posted a response to the attacks on the consulate's webpage.

January 1, 2014, at 9:25pm, a person from a mini-van parking in front of the main entrance of the Chinese Consulate-General in San Francisco poured 2 buckets of gasoline onto the front door of the consulate, and then set it on fire, causing it severely damaged. San Francisco Police Department, Fire Department and the Bureau of Diplomatic Security of the US State Department arrived on the scene immediately in the wake of the attack. An investigation is now underway.

The arson attack is a violent crime targeted at the Chinese consular institution in the United States, causing severe damage to the consulate facilities and posing a threat to the safety of the consulate staff and the residents living nearby. We strongly condemn this despicable act and have already made representations with the US side on the attack. We urge the US side to take all necessary measures to provide adequate protection for Chinese consular personnel and properties, and bring the culprit(s) to justice as soon as possible.

The U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Diplomatic Security and the FBI are investigating. FBI spokesman in San Francisco Peter Lee said that the fire was set using an "incendiary device" that was likely not a bomb. Much of the exterior of the consulate and the building's doors were charred and damaged by the fire.

[Chinese Consulate San Francisco] [New York Times]

Related UPI Stories
Topics: Peter Lee
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories