Texas shooting spree leaves 5 dead in Terrell, suspect arrested

Charles Brownlow was arrested in the early morning Tuesday, after allegedly killing his mother, his aunt and three others.
Posted By Veronica Linares  |  Updated Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter

(UPI) -- Police have captured the man who allegedly killed five people at four different locations in Terell, Texas, during an overnight murder spree.

Charles Brownlow, 36, was arrested in the early morning Tuesday after reportedly killing his mother, his aunt, and three others. He was identified as a suspect by Terrell authorities after he was seen stealing a car.

Authorities believe Brownlow was behind five murders that began Monday at around 5 p.m. at a home on the 300 block of Stallings Street, according to Terrell Police Captain A.D. Sansom.

"We are on scene of an arson that has resulted in a death," Sansom said. "Separately, we are investigating another incident that does involve a death on Tyler Street in the same general area."

A woman, reportedly Brownlow's aunt, was found dead of an apparent gunshot wound at the Tyler Street home. The victim found dead in the burning house is believed to be Brownlow's mother. Authorities also believe the home was where Brownlow had been living.

A third incident took place Monday at around 10 p.m. when a shooting was reported in the 800 block of North Francis Street. Although no one was hurt at this address, police believe this was the home of Brownlow's girlfriend.

Two more victims, a woman and a man, were later found at a house on Eulalia Street at 10:27 p.m. A 3-year-old child who was in the house during the shooting was not hurt.

A clerk found dead at a nearby convenience store is also believed to have been shot by Brownlow. The suspect reportedly traveled to Ali's Market at 10:37 p.m. killed the clerk inside the store, jumped in the car and drove off after being spotted by police.

From there, police chased Brownlow back to the neighborhood where it all began. The suspect was captured after he crashed the car through a fence off College Mound and got out of the vehicle.

Texas Department of Public Safety troopers and their helicopter began searching for Brownlow using infrared cameras and eventually caught him at around 1:30 a.m.

The Texas Rangers, Garland Police Department, Department of Public Service, Kaufman Co. Sheriff's Office, Terrell Police Department and Terrell Fire Arson are all investigating. Authorities have not yet specified charges or speculated on motive.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories