1 of 5 | A woman stands by debris from her destroyed home in Camp Perrin, Haiti, on Tuesday. Officials say the death toll from the quake has surpassed 2,100. Photo by Orlando Barria/EPA-EFE
Aug. 19 (UPI) -- The major earthquake that hit Haiti last weekend grows deadlier by the day.
Officials on the Caribbean island said late Wednesday that the death toll related to the quake has risen to about 2,200. Haiti's Civil Protection Agency also said more than 12,000 were injured.
Rescue efforts have been made difficult due to limited resources and severe weather from Tropical Storm Grace, which caused mudslides that blocked roads. At least 75,000 homes were damaged or destroyed by the quake.
Officials said about three dozen people were rescued on Tuesday and Wednesday.
In an address on Wednesday, Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry said his government is committed to providing aid to affected areas.
"We launch a solemn appeal to all of us to show solidarity to the victims," he said, according to CNN. "We lost many people in the disaster, let's avoid losing more because of the [COVID-19] pandemic."
Civil Protection Agency Director Dr. Claude Predtit told reporters that 600,000 people are in need of assistance, especially clean drinking water.
The earthquake last weekend has brought about dire conditions that have become all too familiar in Haiti over the past decade.
An earthquake in 2010 killed 220,000 and displaced 1.5 million. During recovery efforts, 10,000 more died from cholera that was brought into the country by aid workers. In 2016, Hurricane Matthew devastated the island and killed 600 people.
The Caribbean nation was dealing with substantial political instability, as well, when the quake struck. Haitian President Jovenel Moise was assassinated last month when armed gunmen broke into his home and shot he and his wife.
A number of suspects have been arrested for Moise's death, but authorities were still pursuing the investigation when the 7.2-magnitude quake hit last weekend.