Advertisement

North Korea's 3,000-ton submarine being closely watched, Seoul says

North Korea's 3,000-ton submarine being closely watched, Seoul says
U.S. and South Korean intelligence authorities have said it is likely North Korea completed the construction of a 3,000-ton submarine at Sinpo Shipyard. File Photo by KCNA/UPI | License Photo

April 26 (UPI) -- North Korea's new submarines are being monitored in South Korea as recent evidence shows Pyongyang could be preparing to test a submarine-launched ballistic missile.

South Korea's joint chiefs of staff public affairs chief Kim Joon-rak said Monday at a regular press briefing that North Korea appears to be upgrading its submarines.

Advertisement

"Currently, the U.S.-South Korea intelligence authorities are closely tracking and monitoring related trends," Kim said, according to Newsis.

South Korea could be increasingly concerned about a potential North Korean missile test after evidence of activity was captured on commercial satellite imagery.

RELATED World Food Program reaches out to South Korea amid crises

U.S. analysts Joseph Bermudez and Victor Cha said in a report published to the Center for Strategic and International Studies' site Beyond Parallel last week that North Korea had placed a "cylindrical object on the submersible missile test barge at Nampo" shipyard.

"This object could be a launch tube for an SLBM, but this cannot be confirmed yet based on available imagery," the analysts said.

"The North Korean leader has made clear his desires to perfect long-range ballistic missile capabilities to reach the United States. An operational SLBM capability would enhance the survivability of their nuclear deterrent."

Advertisement
RELATED North Korean ships active in China, data show

Last month North Korea fired short-range missiles, defying warnings from Washington and Seoul.

U.S. and South Korean intelligence authorities have said it is likely North Korea completed the construction of a 3,000-ton submarine at Sinpo Shipyard. The submarine was on display during Kim Jong Un's visit to the shipyard in July 2019, South Korean newspaper Dong-A Ilbo reported Monday.

The 3,000-ton modified Romeo-class submarine can carry up to three SLBMs.

RELATED Defectors warned against sending leaflets into North Korea

Shin Jong-woo, secretary general of the Korea Defense and Security Forum in the South, said North Korea is likely to test-launch a new SLBM in the East Sea. Pyongyang could then test the weapon at Nampo Shipyard, to demonstrate improvements in missile range, Shin said, according to the Dong-A.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement