Advertisement

Britain's Prince Philip returns to private hospital after heart procedure

Prince Philip has been hospitalized since the middle of February and underwent a heart procedure this week. File Photo by Heinz Ruckemann/UPI
Prince Philip has been hospitalized since the middle of February and underwent a heart procedure this week. File Photo by Heinz Ruckemann/UPI | License Photo

March 5 (UPI) -- Britain's Prince Philip on Friday was moved back to a private hospital in London following a heart procedure this week, royal officials said.

The Duke of Edinburgh and Queen Elizabeth II's husband has been undergoing treatment for nearly three weeks for what officials say is a pre-existing heart condition.

Advertisement

Royal officials said he was moved to King Edward VII's Hospital on Friday. He was previously admitted to that facility before he was transferred to St. Bartholomew's Hospital for the unspecified heart procedure on Wednesday.

Buckingham Palace said he will remain in the hospital for "continuing treatment" for several more days.

King Edward VII's Hospital is a private facility in central London, unlike St. Bartholomew's, which is a public teaching hospital in the Smithfield section of the city.

Philip, who turns 100 in June, retired from public duties in 2017 and was last seen in public last summer when he transferred his role as colonel-in-chief of The Rifles to Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

Latest Headlines