Feb. 26 (UPI) -- China and India agreed to establish a hotline between their top diplomats, but reports indicate differing views prevailed over the issue of disputed areas.
According to statements released Friday by both governments, Indian External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and Chinese Foreign Minister Want Yi agreed to a direct telephone line for emergency use to guarantee "timely communication," The Hindu reported.
"Foreign Minister Wang Yi ... noted that the Indian side had proposed 'three mutuals' [mutual respect, mutual sensitivity and mutual interests] as the approach to the relationship," India's external affairs ministry said. "He also agreed on the importance of taking the long view of our ties."
Border issues may have not been settled during the 75-minute phone call between the two sides, however. Jaishankar reportedly sought "complete disengagement and de-escalation" along the disputed border and urged disengagement "at all friction points," but Wang may have dismissed the idea.
"While that the two countries have boundary disputes is an objective fact, which should be taken seriously, it is not the whole of China-India relations," Wang said, according to The Hindu.
Wang also claimed India "has vacillated and even moved backward over its policy on China," according to Xinhua.
China's foreign ministry said in its statement the two neighbors should "not follow the crooked path of suspicion and jealousy, let alone the negative and retrogressive," India Today reported.
China and India already operate a military hotline between the Indian Army's Director General of Military Operations and China's Western Theater Command. The hotline was proposed in January 2020, months before the two sides clashed in Galway Valley in the disputed Ladakh region.
The skirmishes led to the death of 20 Indian soldiers. Last year, China declined to disclose its casualty numbers, but last week claimed four of its troops were killed during the clash, according to Al Jazeera.