Nov. 26 (UPI) -- High-level talks between the United States and North Korea are not likely to take place before the end of November, according to a South Korean press report.
A South Korean diplomatic source told News 1 on Monday a North Korea request for talks this week was not met with a U.S. response -- North Korea had previously canceled a meeting in New York on Nov. 7.
News 1's source said the talks are not breaking down, and that they are being postponed. Schedule conflicts continue to be cited as a reason for the delays.
The Trump administration has been cautious with its North Korea engagement policy. Last Tuesday, the United States showed support for an inter-Korea survey of railroads in the North during working-level talks with Seoul officials in Washington. The United States has also shown a willingness to reduce the scale of military exercises, including the jointly held Foal Eagle, according to reports.
North Korea may be seeking more concessions, however, including sanctions relief, following the signing of the Sept. 19 Pyongyang Declaration with the South.
Kim Jong Un had agreed to permanently dismantle its nuclear facilities in Yongbyon, but the United States has held firm on sanctions.
"We are prepared to be patient, but all the while -- all the while that we're working to make sure that North Korea has continued to stop its missile tests, continued to stop its nuclear tests," Pompeo said Sunday in an interview with George Lawson of KFDI News. "The economic sanctions which have caused North Korea to engage with us will remain in place."
Pompeo also said in the recent interview the relationship between North and South is an important component of denuclearization.
"We are in lock step with our Republic of Korea partners and we want to make sure we stay that way," Pompeo said.
The United States and South Korea held the first meeting of its bilateral working group on North Korea in Washington last week.