Advertisement

10 killed in Siberia warehouse fire

By
Susan McFarland

Jan. 4 (UPI) -- Ten people were killed Thursday when a shoe factory caught fire near the Siberian city of Novosibirsk.

The workers appeared to have tried to extinguish the fire on their own but apparently died from carbon monoxide poisoning before firefighters arrived. More than 80 firefighters assisted with the fire, which could have been triggered by an internal short-circuit.

Advertisement

It appears materials for footwear production caught fire in the hangar-type building, which emitted strong and toxic smoke.

Officials dismissed fears of possible contamination in surrounding areas, saying the smoke poses a threat to the population.

Latest Headlines