More than 200 schoolgirls hospitalized after gas leak in India

By Daniel Uria  |  May 6, 2017 at 9:03 AM
share with facebook
share with twitter

May 6 (UPI) -- Hundreds of students were sent to the hospitals in India after a gas leak from a container depot near a school on Saturday morning.

At least 200 schoolgirls and nine teachers were hospitalized after what is believed to be chloromethyl pyridine, a chemical used in pesticides and insecticides, leaked from the container depot to Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya and Senior Kanya Vidyalaya schools in the country's capital Delhi.

"We saw two students who had watery eyes and complained of irritation," Principal Manisha Vaish said. "After more students complained, we informed authorities and shifted our students to the nearby hospitals."

Delhi Chief Fire Officer Atul Garg told the BBC fire and hazmat crews were sent to the schools to respond to the leak.

"Students and staff members of Rani Jhansi school were evacuated, and the entire area has been cordoned off," he said.

Some concerned parents took their children back to the hospital after they were released, but the students are not expected to be at serious risk.

"The situation is under control. Doctors have said there is nothing to worry about. I have asked the district magistrate to investigate," Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories