Jan. 29 (UPI) -- Multiple shooters opened fire at a mosque in Quebec City, Canada, on Sunday, killing six people and injuring eight during evening prayers, police said.
Quebec City Police said they made two arrests in the aftermath of the shooting. The center was the same one that was harassed last year when a pig's head was left at the mosque's doorstep during Ramadan.
"Tonight, Canadians grieve for those killed in a cowardly attack on a mosque in Quebec City," Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted, with Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard saying the city "categorically rejects this barbaric violence" in a tweet of his own.
Around 8 p.m. Sunday, with more than 40 people inside the mosque, witnesses reported up to three assailants opened fire on the men, women and children attending services.
One witness, who asked to remain anonymous, said two masked individuals entered the mosque, yelled "Allahu akbar" in a Quebecois-sounding accent and then started firing at people while they prayed.
Trudeau called it terrorism against Muslims.