U.S. President Barack Obama (L) and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau hold a joint press conference in the Rose Garden at the White House, in Washington, DC, on March 10, 2016. File Photo by Kevin Dietsch/UPI | License Photo
Jan. 29 (UPI) -- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is weighing in on U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order regarding the temporary suspension of visa applications for migrants from terror-sponsoring countries.
Trump last week took action to ban the entry of people from countries such as Iran, Syria, Libya and Iraq, which are predominantly Muslim, while his administration develops a more thorough vetting process.
"To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength #WelcomeToCanada," Trudeau tweeted Saturday.
The prime minister also issued a longer statement on Twitter, explaining how Trump's recent actions will impact Canadians.
"Senior officials have been working to seek clarity for Canadians from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Department of Transportation, amongst other counterparts," Trudeau said. "I instructed our National Security Advisor, Daniel Jean, who was in touch over the course of the day with NSA Flynn to seek further clarification. NSA Flynn confirmed that holders of Canadian passports, including dual citizens, will not be affected by the ban. We have been assured that Canadians travelling on Canadian passport will be dealt with in the usual process. As we receive new information, we will continue to share on this and other channels."
Trudeau's remarks regarding the new, controversial immigration policy for the United States came a day after Canadian leaders said they are prepared to increase international aid for women's health programs in the wake of Trump's move to cut $600 million in funding over his administration's opposition to abortion.