Advertisement

Boat captain guilty in deadliest Mediterranean shipwreck, gets 18 years

"I have a little son from an Italian [woman]. I want to marry her," boat captain Mohammed Ali Malek told the court before his conviction Tuesday.

By
Doug G. Ware
Tunisian fishing boat captain Mohammed Ali Malek (L) and Syrian deck hand Mahmud Bikhit were convicted by an Italian court Tuesday in the deaths of more than 700 people in the Mediterranean Sea's deadliest shipwreck. Malek was sentenced to 18 years in prison. Photos courtesy of Italian police
Tunisian fishing boat captain Mohammed Ali Malek (L) and Syrian deck hand Mahmud Bikhit were convicted by an Italian court Tuesday in the deaths of more than 700 people in the Mediterranean Sea's deadliest shipwreck. Malek was sentenced to 18 years in prison. Photos courtesy of Italian police

ROME, Dec. 13 (UPI) -- The captain of a fishing boat, packed with illegal migrants, who authorities say caused the deadliest Mediterranean shipwreck in history was convicted and sentenced to prison on Tuesday.

Mohammed Ali Malek was convicted on charges of manslaughter, human trafficking and causing the disaster. He was sentenced to 18 years in prison.

Advertisement

More than 700 people are believed to have died on April 13, 2015, when the fishing vessel -- which carried scores of migrants bound for Italy -- abruptly collided with a Portuguese freighter ship, which was coming to the captain's aid.

ARCHIVE April 2015: Captain of capsized boat charged with manslaughter

The freighter, the King Jacob, was headed toward the fishing vessel to lend assistance after it received an emergency call from Italian authorities.

RELATED London police investigating 30 soccer clubs for child sex abuse

The small fishing vessel was destroyed and sunk, causing hundreds to drown in the sea. It's the Mediterranean's deadliest known shipwreck. Only 28 survivors were saved.

According to investigators, Malek, 28, steered his boat into the freighter and caused the collision off the Italian island of Lampedusa.

The exact death toll is unknown because most of those who drowned were undocumented immigrants traveling illegally from Libya to Italian shores -- part of the migrant crisis that's enveloped Europe in the last two years.

Advertisement
RELATED U.S. North Korea policy unlikely to change under Trump, envoy says

According to estimates, nearly 5,000 migrants have died this year attempting to cross the Mediterranean, and about 3,700 died last year.

Mahmud Bikhit, a Syrian national who served as Malek's mate on the boat, was also convicted on charges of aiding illegal immigration. He was sentenced to five years in prison.

Malek's attorney said he plans to appeal the verdict and the sentence. Both men were also fined $9.5 million. Both have denied accusations that they were involved in human trafficking.

RELATED Cease-fire deal reached in Aleppo; Russian envoy says military ops finished

"I have been in Italy for two and a half years and I have a little son from an Italian [woman]. I want to marry her and [claim my son]. It's the truth," Malek told the court before Tuesday's verdict.

RECOMMENDED Death toll in migrant shipwreck off Egypt reaches 300

According to Malek, a citizen of Tunisia, his boat was thrust into the King Jacob by a large wave that was created in the sea by the freighter's large propellers.

"My client says he was a mere passenger," attorney Massimo Ferrante told The New York Times.

After the verdict, prosecutors said the case set two important precedents -- that traffickers who get into life-threatening situations can be criminally prosecuted after their rescue, and that migrants in such scenarios can be considered victims and avoid legal liability.

Advertisement

Latest Headlines