Advertisement

Nigeria looking to question journalist who posted video of abducted Chibok girls

Ahmed Salkida is wanted for questioning about his knowledge of the location of the Nigerian schoolgirls who were kidnapped in 2014.

By Ed Adamczyk

ABUJA, Nigeria, Aug. 15 (UPI) -- The Nigerian army wants to question a journalist who posted a video showing girls captured by the Boko Haram insurgent group, an army spokesman said.

Authorities say they believe journalist Ahmed Salkida and two colleagues, Ahmed Bolori and Aisha Wakil, have information about the location of the girls, among 276 abducted from their school in Chibok by the Nigerian Islamist group in 2014, Col. Sani Usman, army public relations director, said.

Advertisement

"There is no doubt that these individuals have links with Boko Haram terrorists and have contacts with them. They must therefore come forward and tell us where the group is keeping the Chibok girls and other abducted persons to enable us rescue them," a statement by Usman read.

In comments on social media, Salkida said Boko Haram exclusively sent him the 11-minute video, in which at least 40 girls are purportedly shown and a Boko Haram spokesman demands the release of jailed Boko Haram fighters in exchange for releasing the girls.

Salkida said at least 40 of the girls had been killed in Nigerian airstrikes. He later noted he presented a paper in 2012 in Senegal, explaining his "personal experience with Boko Haram." Wakil, another of the three sought by the army, was involved in negotiations between Boko Haram and the Nigerian government in 2013.

Advertisement

The Nigerian military said it is examining the video for its authenticity. Brig. Gen. Rabe Abubakar said in a statement he doubted accusations that some of the abducted girls died in airstrikes.

"It is extremely difficult and rare to hit innocent people during airstrike because the operation is done through precision attack on identified and registered targets and locations. The precision airstrike is very effective at taking out targeted enemies because it is not a random operation. We are nevertheless studying the video clips to examine if the victims died from other causes rather from the allegation of airstrike," Abubakar said.

RELATED Nigerian army says Boko Haram defeated; group's disputed leader vows to fight on

About 2,000 children have been abducted by Boko Haram since 2014, with some used as sex slaves, fighters and suicide bombers, Amnesty International said.

RELATED New Boko Haram leader is son of founder

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement