SEOUL, May 11 (UPI) -- North Korea pointed the finger at the United States on Wednesday for Pyongyang's decision to develop a hydrogen bomb.
The statement comes days after Kim Jong Un had told his Seventh Party Congress that the North's air defense system must be further developed.
Pyongyang's state-controlled news agency KCNA published a commentary claiming the United States, "the world's largest nuclear power, has acted hostile toward us, escalating the nuclear threat."
"Inevitably, we had to develop a nuclear weapon," the North Korea statement read.
North Korea also said the United States "doesn't listen to anyone's advice and insists on a hostile North Korea policy, which is why we will continuously expand and strengthen our nuclear deterrent, in order to ensure the nation's sovereignty and survival."
Pyongyang also warned the United States is increasing the chances of "catastrophic consequences" as North Korea gains nuclear strike capability, but also added the United States needs to change its policies and stop blaming Pyongyang for tensions.
North Korea has previously issued messages urging a peace treaty with Washington.
The message issued Wednesday and last week, however, could be for domestic propaganda purposes. The United States has repeatedly called for negotiations and for the easing of tensions but has insisted denuclearization is key to the talks.
North Korea's threats could also be concealing regime insecurity regarding the state's ability to defend itself.
During the Seventh Party Congress, Kim had called for the strengthening of Pyongyang's anti-aircraft defense, News 1 reported.
"The fatherland's airspace must be fortified with a modernized anti-aircraft defense system...that could cover the entire country like a net," Kim had said, according to the Rodong Sinmun.
North Korea bolstered its anti-aircraft defenses after its fourth nuclear test in January, when U.S. B-52 strategic bombers flew across South Korean airspace, according to a Seoul military official.