BEIJING, March 22 (UPI) -- China confirmed four North Korean ships have been removed from a United Nations Security Council blacklist, because they were not connected to outlawed North Korean shipping firm Ocean Maritime Management.
Beijing's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Tuesday four North Korean vessels have been removed from a clause in Resolution 2270, and a decision was made at the Security Council after the sanctions committee had been apprised of the "latest situation," South Korean news agency Yonhap reported.
The ships, JH 86, Jintai, Jin Teng, and the Grand Caro are all Chinese-owned, and Beijing reportedly told the U.N.'s North Korea sanctions committee the vessels would not allow North Korean crew members on board.
China played a key role in supporting the Security Council sanctions resolution in early March, and has repeatedly stated its commitment to "denuclearization on the Korean peninsula."
South Korea has been in talks with Beijing to restart discussions on North Korea policy, and Seoul's envoy to the six-party talks, Kim Hong-kyun, met with his Chinese counterpart Wu Dawei last week to discuss the South's assessment of recent North Korea provocations.
Building on those talks, U.S. and South Korea envoys to the six-party dialogue agreed Tuesday to reopen talks with China to seek a solution to the nuclear issue, Newsis reported.
South Korea's Kim met with Ambassador Sung Kim, the U.S. special representative for North Korea policy. The two sides had also met on Monday to discuss ways to leave North Korea no choice but to accept denuclearization.
Seoul and Washington are concerned that North Korea provocations have not abated with the unanimous adoption of U.N. sanctions.
Ambassador Kim is scheduled to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia this week to request cooperation on the implementation of sanctions, South Korea press reported.