Advertisement

Search for Guatemalan landslide survivors halted; 70 still missing

By Tomas Monzon

EL CAMBRAY DOS, Guatemala, Oct. 14 (UPI) -- Emergency officials in Guatemala halted the search for more survivors of a landslide that killed at least 280 people and left dozens still missing.

The country's Disaster Reduction Commission, identified as CONRED, said it will keep some staff at the village to help with reconstruction efforts but that there was little chance of finding more survivors after 13 days. CONRED head Alejandro Maldonado said 70 people were missing but that the agency will remain committed to "working on the stablization of the area."

Advertisement

CONRED spokesman David De Leon told CNN that air quality and other circumstances were proving dangerous for emergency workers.

The landslide took place on Oct. 1, when heavy rains caused the side of a hill above the village to slide down. At the time, Maldonado said the hills had been weakened by a pattern of heavy rain in recent days.

Hundreds of emergency workers aided by heavy machinery worked to find survivors after the earthquake. They dealt with rainy weather and an unstable ground that often required temporary halts in their work.

Maldonado said control of the situation in the village will now be given to the Municipal Emergency Operations Center at Santa Catarina Pinula. He added that an economic subsidy to the approximately 184 families affected by the mudslide will be provided after exact property loss data is produced.

Advertisement

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement