KANDAHAR, Afghanistan, Sept. 20 (UPI) -- The Taliban claimed responsibility Sunday for a suicide attack that injured at least three people in Afghanistan's Kandahar province, Afghan officials said.
Two police officers and a civilian were among those injured in the blast, which originated from a vehicle near a security checkpoint in the Daman district, Xinhua news agency quoted Samim Khpalwak, a provincial government spokesman, as saying.
A different security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Xinhua the blast occurred near the Kandahar airport and injured six people, including four police officers, one civilian and a foreign soldier.
Meanwhile, Xinhua reports two civilians were killed and another wounded when their vehicle ran over a landmine in Kandahar's Nesh district.
The incidents join a growing list of attacks against Afghan security forces after a majority of NATO troops formerly ended their combat mission in the country last year -- and come nearly a week after Taliban fighters broke free at least 351 inmates from a jail in Ghazni province.
Earlier this month, the Afghan military said it killed scores of Taliban insurgents -- including two commanders -- in operations across the country.