KABUL, Afghanistan, June 30 (UPI) -- At least 17 civilians were injured after a Taliban suicide car bomb attack targeted a NATO convoy on Tuesday near the airport in Afghanistan's capital, Kabul.
The attack took place on the main road to Kabul's airport, near the U.S. embassy and other diplomatic compounds. The Taliban took responsibility for the attack via Twitter. The injured include three children and a woman.
"A four armored-vehicle convoy of foreign forces was attacked by a suicide bomber in a Toyota Corolla," Kabul police chief Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahimi told reporters at the scene, adding that the "barbaric attack [was] carried out by the enemies of peace in this holy month of Ramadan."
NATO spokeswoman Capt. Susan Harrington confirmed the attack and said no coalition forces were killed.
In Afghanistan, more than 4,000 civilians have been killed in fighting this year, which could exceed the death toll recorded last year.
The attack follows another suicide car bombing Tuesday in the Helmand province that killed two civilians and injured 51 others. The apparent target was the police headquarters in Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital, but the vehicle exploded beforehand.
About 12,000 NATO and partner-nation personnel remain to "train, advise and assist" Afghanistan's 350,000 soldiers in the "Resolute Support" mission, which also concentrates on counter-terrorism.