Advertisement

IS claims responsibility for car explosion outside Saudi mosque

A similar attack happened last week in which 21 people died.

By Ed Adamczyk
IS claims responsibility for car explosion outside Saudi mosque
Dammam, Saudi Arabia, where a suicide bomber killed himself and three others in a mosque attack on Friday May 29, 2015. This is the second attack in a week in the Sunni-majority kingdom. Photo courtesy of Flickr.

DAMMAM , Saudi Arabia, May 29 (UPI) -- An explosion outside a Shiite mosque in Dammam, Saudi Arabia, killed four people Friday, the second attack in a week in the Sunni-majority kingdom.

In a Twitter message, the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, referring to the Shiite mosque as a "Polytheistic monument" and identifying the bomber as Abu Jned al Zazwari.

Advertisement

A suicide bomber detonated explosives at the Imam Hussein mosque in Dammam, a city of about one million on the Persian Gulf in eastern Saudi Arabia. It followed a similar bombing, for which the Islamic State also claimed responsibility, in the city of Qatif last week in which 21 people died.

The Saudi Interior Ministry said the explosion in Dammam occurred after security forces attempted to stop a vehicle near the mosque, but a source told CNN the explosives were set off inside the mosque by a male visitor dressed in traditional women's clothes as a deception; after he was challenged by Shiites attempting to search him, he detonated the explosives he carried, killing himself and three worshippers.

Advertisement

The incident occurred in the city's Shiite neighborhood, one of the few Shiite population centers in Saudi Arabia.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement