SANAA, Yemen, Jan. 26 (UPI) -- The U.S. Embassy in Sanaa, Yemen, was closed but not evacuated Monday, following a weekend of chaos as rebels overtook the Yemen government.
A statement from the U.S. State Department said the embassy would be indefinitely closed to the public "out of an abundance of caution and care for our employees and others." Over 200 people remain on duty at the embassy.
Senior officials confirmed a U.S. drone killed three al-Qaida operatives in Yemen on Monday. Last week, a State Department representative, Michael Vickers, told the Atlantic Council it is a "safe assumption" that Iranian-supplied Shia Houthi rebels and the United States are collaborating on fighting al-Qaida, a common foe.
The attack indicates the fight against al-Qaida in Yemen has not been stalled by the uncertain politics in the capital city.
The Yemeni government has also been a U.S. ally, but President Abdarabbuh Mansour Hadi resigned last week after his presidential palace was captured by the Houthis.